Friday, April 4, 2008

Week 11

Evidently Thursday nights are huge for gallery openings. Since I missed the Chelsea gallery tour with Tobi Khan I decided to go opening hopping with my roommate and a friend. The streets of Chelsea really come alive at night and you can automatically tell which gallery's are having openings by the crowds of people by the doors. As previously stated openings aren't really the best times for really taking in the artwork and I actually wasn't a fan of many of the shows we went to but one REALLY stood out. 

Tseng Kwong Chi is amazing. His work is being shown at the Paul Kasmin Gallery. The series of self portraits were taken throughout the years 1979-1989. In all of his portraits he is posing in a Mao suit in front of American landmarks. The exhibit features over 90 large scale, black and white photographs. I was just so blown away by his work and the installation in the gallery was really well done.


No comments: